Saturday, October 13, 2007

First Post

This is my first post. Coming out of the starting gate I just want to set the tone of what I want this blog to be. My purpose is to examine ways that we as Christians can develop a Biblical worldview and influence the mainstream culture, becoming conformed more to the cross of Christ in every area of life, for the advancement of His Kingdom. I hope this blog will create some very interesting discussion.

I believe that one of the greatest problems that the church in America faces is that we do not know how to apply the Bible to our daily lives. This is why we are losing ground. We don't know how or even if it does relate to our "secular" lives. After all, doesn't it just tell us about "religious" things.

Our thinking is all wrong. I know because I speak from experience. I have prided myself on my biblical knowledge and theological accuracy. Yet, I have always struggled with how to apply the Bible. After completing my very first hermeneutics course I asked the teacher, "Now that I've been taught the art and science of interpreting the Bible what is the art and science of applying the Bible?" His answer didn't satisfy me at all.

Over the years and through much study and searching I have discovered that Biblical application isn't so complicated. Don't misunderstand me. I didn't say it was easy but it is not complicated. The problem is not with the Bible. The problem is with us, with the way we think and with the way we see the world. Our problem is with our starting point in our thinking. If we start at the wrong place then is it any wonder that, no matter how good the directions are, we will end up in the wrong place.

This is why we don't know how to apply the Bible to all of life. This is the reason we do not know how to live as Christians in this fallen and broken reality. Most all we know how to do is work on our personal piety and maybe do some occasional evangelism. But isn't being a Christian more than this? As a servant of the King shouldn't we do more to advance His kingdom than tidy up our prayer closet?

What happened to being salt and light? What happened to being a city set on a hill? What happened to having your good works seen by men so that they glorify your Father in heaven? I've got news for you, the world doesn't care that you are faithful to your spouse, or that you don't curse, or that you read your Bible or pray or any host of a number of things that we think of when we hear those words. The only type of good work that the world will glorify God upon seeing is something that is going to impact or in some way be beneficial to them.

That is what I want to explore in this blog. We will talk about correcting our thinking, applying the Bible, and doing good works that make this rebellious unbelieving world stop, think, and perhaps glorify God.

To God Be The Glory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home